The Morton Arboretum Photographic Society (MAPS) encourages, inspires, and engages people of all backgrounds and ages who have an interest in nature photography. Our membership includes beginning as well as advanced photographers, and shares in the missions and goals of the Morton Arboretum. MAPS is committed to a culture of diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion among the MAPS membership and at all MAPS programs, events, outings, and activities.
MAPS does not hold image competitions, as many other organizations do. Occasionally members can submit an image for critique, but we strongly believe in providing only constructive criticism.
MAPS Monthly Meetings
MAPS monthly meetings are held on the second Monday of each month (except holidays), at the Morton Arboretum’s Thornhill Education Center in the Arbor Room.
- Meetings start at 7 pm, and guests are always welcome.
- Prior to the monthly program, MAPS features an expanded social hour (Show & Tell) starting at 6 pm.
- See the Programs section for information on past presentations by Morton Arboretum photography instructors, guest photographers and other professionals in fields related to horticulture, wildlife and other areas.
Please take the time to view our MAPS brochure for more information on our photo society.
Join MAPS to share your passion for nature photography with like-minded individuals. Membership in MAPS is open to everyone who is interested in nature photography. Our membership includes beginning as well as advanced photographers. Membership benefits include:
- Monthly Programs – In fields related to horticulture, wildlife and other areas, held at the Thornhill Education Center at The Morton Arboretum.
- Show & Tell – Prior to our monthly programs, members share their knowledge, abilities, talents, skills or photographic endeavors with other members in a casual setting.
- Photo Outings – At locations throughout the Chicagoland area, and occasionally beyond.
- Photo Workshops – Various topics related to photography such as post-processing and printing.
- Non-competitive photo critiques at some monthly meetings.
- Annual Photo Exhibit – Held at The Morton Arboretum, as well as outside exhibits at various locations.
- Social Events – Such as our annual Holiday Party.
To become a member of MAPS, please download the Membership form. Print and fill it out, and either mail it or bring it to our next meeting. Feel free to contact our Membership Chair if you have any questions: email@example.com.
MAPS Executive Board and Committees
MAPS board meetings are normally held the fourth Monday of every month at 6 pm at the Thornhill Education Center. All members of MAPS are welcome to attend board meetings, but please check the Calendar to confirm date and time.
MAPS Org Chart 2020 – all current board members, committee chairs and co-chair functions and responsibilities.
MAPS Board Officers & Committee Chairs 2020 – email contact information for all current board members, committee chairs and co-chair functions and responsibilities.
Any member with suggestions or questions, or who wishes to volunteer for a committee is encouraged to contact a board member or committee chairperson.